Pregnancy & Delivery Resources:
- Learn how to get and keep your baby in an optimal fetal position for birth at Spinning Babies
- 15 Ways to Turn a Breech Baby
- Turning a Posterior Baby
- 50 Ways to Protest a VBAC Denial
- Prenatal Testing Understanding
- The Brewer Diet--or pregnancy can help prevent abruptions, premature birth, pre-eclampsia and toxemia in pregnancy.
- Nutrition Worksheet to see how your diet stacks up.
- Find out if your hospital is mother and baby friendly: Coalition for Improving Maternity Services
- Birthing Naturally---lots of good information about seeking a natural birth
- Safe Fetus-- Find out if your prescription or over-the-counter medicine is safe to take while pregnant or breastfeeding
- Drug safety--Drug watch--watch what you take from over the counter to prescriptive drugs.
- Midwifery Resources: Midwives Alliance of North America (MANA)
- MANA's goal is to unify and strengthen the profession of midwifery, thereby improving the quality of health care for women, babies, and communities.
NARM's mission is to offer and maintain an evaluative process for multiple routes of midwifery education; to develop and administer a standardized examination system leading to the credential "Certified Professional Midwife" (CPM); to identify best practices that reflect the excellence and diversity of the independent midwifery community as the basis for setting the standards for the CPM credential; to publish, distribute and/or make available materials that describe the certification and examination process and requirements for application; to maintain a registry of those individuals who have received certification and/or passed the examination; to manage the process of re-certification; and to work in multiple arenas to promote and improve the role of CPMs in the delivery of maternity care to women and their newborns.
- International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN)--importnt information and current studies on safety of VBAC
- OB/GYNs Issue Less Restrictive VBAC Guidelines (2010, July)
- Childbirth Connections great information here about birth and pregnant patient's rights. Listening to Mothers I & II surveys are here also.
- Mothering Magazine--They have both a paper and digital edition.
Safety Studies on Homebirth:
- Citizens for Midwifery The only national consumer-based group promoting the Midwives Model of Care
- Short video of, "Birth by the Numbers"
- Citizens for Midwifery Fact Sheet
- Safety of Homebirth
- British Medical Journal article about homebirth
- PubMed Meta-analysis of the safety of home birth
- Kellymom-is hands-down, the best breastfeeding info site out there. Bookmark it!
- Le Leche League-has been around a long time. Find a group near you or check out their many helpful pages for more information.
- 101 Reasons to Breastfeed--this site is constantly updated to stay current with the latest research out there on the many benefits of breastfeeding.
- Dr. Jack Newman-Canadian pediatrician, author and breastfeeding advocate and expert, this site has video clips to show you how to achieve a good latch.
- Breastfeeding.com-- amazing site with tons of information
- Ameda--animation showing you how to achieve a good latch-on
- BFAR-breastfeeding after breast surgery. Find out if the surgery you've had or are considering will interfere with breastfeeding.
- Low Milk Supply-tips to help build an adequate supply (TIP: don't take an antihistimine or hormonal birth control while breastfeeding. It wreaks havoc on your milk supply!)
- Breastfeeding Online-Dr. Jack Newman has some excellent handouts on a variety of topics of interest to breastfeeding moms (colic, sore nipples, low milk supply, etc.)